Saturday, July 4, 2009

Irony Should Be My Middle Name

My patron Goddess, Nyx, the Greek Goddess of darkness and deception, fits me very well I think. My life is just chock full of irony and secrecy. Of course, if I had my way, it wouldn't be, but I'm not stupid, and I know when to keep my head down, especially in my family.

Last Wednesday was the first time in two years that I'd been to church. Church of all places... It wasn't even intended. My youngest sister, goes with a friend to a church weekend gathering, and then we went for the commencement ceremony, and then my other sister decides she likes the place. Then bam!, we end up going to youth group Wednesday and now church and sunday school tomorrow. And I think this is going to be a regular thing now.

I feel really bad, because the people there are nice, and they think they're teaching me the ways of God, which they technically are, and I respect that, but all the same, Christianity is not the religion I follow. The church is Southern Baptist, too, and I live smack in the Bible Belt, so if word ever got out...The kids I have youth group with go to my school and everything. My life would be so over for my whole senior year of high school.

But it's only been one meeting, so far so good. But wait, there's more irony to be had!

Just yesterdy, I received a letter from Dayton University in Ohio, saying I was eligible for the Father Chaminade Award. I googled it, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. So, I looked up Dayton University. A private Catholic college. I wasn't even raised Catholic! And I'm certainly not Christian anymore. That would so go over well. An eclectic Neo-Pagan at a private Chatholic University. Time bomb waiting to happen I think...

But on an interesting side note, we had youth group outside, sitting under a tree in the grass. This was the closest I'd been to nature in a long time, and it was nice, all religion aside. After, all the younger classes came outside and everyone just had fun. It was part of the schedule, just being outside and playing like little kids at recess. Definitely not something I expected, but it was nice, running around barefoot in the grass and dirt...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers